Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Mark 2: "Your sins are forgiven."

Mark 2:1-22

Jesus makes a powerful entrance in chapter 1 of Mark's gospel, but no explanation is offered for his use of power, or where it is from. We are told of voices from Heaven, angels ministering to, and demons recognizing Christ, but aren't really told why. I think chapter 2 begins to answer some questions about who Jesus is and why he has come, specifically providing the "what", the "who" and the "how" of his ministry.

What
Jesus shows the reason for the use of his power in the healing of the paralytic in verses 1-12. It's a familiar story that I have heard grossly mis-taught as a motivational speech for getting through difficulty to arrive at the reward Christ has for you, and turned into a prosperity gospel. Wrong! Christ did not come so that we could struggle our way to Him so that He can give us what we want. Christ came to forgive sins. Freely, powerfully, without cost and what's more, without even asking Him to! The healing of this man was an illustration, a metaphor, a glimpse at His power over the spiritual through a display of His power over the physical. "that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins"! All the power that was displayed in chapter 1, in the healing of this man, and in all his miracles is but a shadow of the real display of power He was anticipating in his death and resurrection; that is, the power to conquer sin and death so that we can be free of it! Hallelujah!

Who
It just so happens that this chapter is full of questions from the pharisees and their ilk. In fact, almost all of Christ's speech here is in response to their questions or attitudes. These are the men who thought all their ducks were in a row; who made livings of not only obeying and enforcing the Law, but even adding to it to make sure it remained pure and holy unto God. Certainly this profession must have begun with noble intent, but in Christ's day it had become an office of pride, oppression, politics and greed. Jesus turns their pride on it's head when He informs them of who it is he came to forgive in verse 17. It is sinners he came to save. In essence I think Jesus is telling the pharisees to mind their own business; they think they're well, let them go on thinking so. He has a job to do, and it isn't for them. It's for the poor, the prostitute, the demon-possessed, the blind, the leper and the lame. Those the pharisees, and how many of us today, would shun and call cursed by God.

I mention "us" because I know this is what is often in my heart. I would much rather remain aloof from those Christ has called me to serve, away from all that I perceive as being wrong with them and being proud of my own salvation. The old nature in my heart is poisoning my witness to those my Lord is most concerned with me sharing it with. God help me, and us all, to put it to death!

How
I think there are two parts to this answer. First, Christ makes an indirect claim to Godship when He does not deny the claim of the scribes that only God can forgive sins. (vs. 5-11) This explains the authority portion of the "how" question. He came to forgive sins because, frankly, and as we already discussed, He can! However, Jesus could not accomplish his mission in it's entirety just by being present on earth as God in the flesh. Jesus makes the first mention of his coming death in Mark's account in verse 20 of our text. Unless my lack of understanding of verses 21-22 prevents me from seeing it, He does not explain the fullness of forgiveness his death will accomplish for all mankind, nor the new life that he will give in his resurrection, but he does at least mention the "how". He will accomplish all he came to do nailed to a tree, dying the death we all deserve so that we won't have to. Praise His great, holy and worthy Name.


Other Thoughts:
Please help me understand verses 21-22. I think I have heard them explained before, but I've forgotten what the illustration is getting at.

I do not mean to eliminate the possibility of metaphor in the account of the paralytic. Yes, there can be difficulty in coming, or bringing some one else, to Christ. A ceiling to dig through, so to speak. And we all have our ailments to be freed from and a mat to carry when Christ saves us. Those things are not the point Mark is making, though. They are the facts of the context in which the bigger picture of Christ's power and sovereignty to save is displayed, and that is what I think should capture our hearts in this story. Having said that, the part of the context that most catches my attention is that the man never asked anything of Jesus, and we are told nothing of his faith. I wonder if he expected anything at all from Christ, and take "their" faith to be the faith of his friends. Yet Christ chose, in his compassion and unfathomable grace, to do what was until then unheard of. Sins forgiven!? What could have possibly entered the paralytics mind then, to say nothing of his heart? Who is this man? I love this picture of the grace of Christ, the call to himself He gives to all.

No comments: