Friday, June 13, 2008

Reading Update, Schedule & Wife's Blog

I keep leaving my Today in the Word at home, so I haven't been going through that so far this month, nor have I been faithful in reading Proverbs. Thankfully, God has been satisfying me with Mark and Jeremiah, so I'm content. I am reading some extra-biblical works that I would like to recommend.

My mother gave me all of the Moody Classic titles for my birthday, (actually what I wanted for once! Way to go, Mom!), and I decided to start with The Confessions of St. Augustine. Just the first chapter is an incredible eye-opener and perspective changer with how I view the world, especially my kids and the modern day "vanities", especially movies. An incredible read so far, and I really look forward to the rest of the book.

I have also recently picked up Tim Keller's The Reason For God. Having not read any apologetics, I am finding this title really helpful for thinking through a witnessing opportunity. It takes apart the major doubts about the Christian faith and then builds a case for belief in it. Again, I haven't read any apologetics, really, but from what I have heard this is a fresh way of looking at the subject. I highly recommend it, especially if you're like me and don't know how to turn someone's expressed doubt about a facet of our faith into a reason to believe.

Obviously, my posting thus far has been pretty sporadic and sparse, so I am trying to decide on a posting schedule now that I have a fair backlog to draw from and keep me consistent. Judging by how long the posts have been, I think I'll keep it to no more than twice a week, more than likely only once. Stay tuned.

Lastly, my wife has decided to start a blog called Begone Unbelief. Don't bother going there, the one that exists hasn't been updated in something like a year, and she hasn't started hers yet. I'll link to it when she does. Hers will be more of a journal than mine, and is sure to be brutally honest. Stay tuned for that as well.

Athanatos!
-J

No comments: