Monday, September 8, 2008

Isaiah 65: Salvation and Judgment

Isaiah 65, vs 13-15


How good it is to know that we have the second half of this chapter to look forward to. It is the greatest hope we can have, to dwell with God in the glory described here. And how easy it is, then, to overlook the first half and the contrast with those who are not Heaven-bound, but destined for the terrible wrath of God. For them there will only be hunger, thirst, shame, pain of heart and breaking of spirit.


I pray that my heart would break for the lost and what is in store for them. That I might be forgiven for my arrogance, knowing my future is secure and discounting everyone else. That I would be convicted of their plight and be moved to compassion-minded mercy for the lost.


This though has been particularly pertinent as I have had a lot of opportunity to discuss Christ and Christianity with one of my co-workers, Dan. Talking with him has helped me see how deceived the world is, and how resistant to the truth it can be. Still, it really has been a wonderful dialogue, and I know God is working in both of us through it. When I am tempted to be prideful in what understanding of the scriptures and the Gospel I do have, I think of the condition of Dan's soul in light of this passage and others that condemn un-repentant sinners, quickly turning to God for insight, wisdom and the right words to plant the seeds necessary for the Gospel to take root in his heart. I am nothing and can do nothing without this help, and knowing that God is using me to potentially make the difference between the two possible outcomes for Dan's soul is quite humbling. Please pray for me in this witness, but more for his receiving of it and the powerful work of the Spirit in his heart to plant that irresistible grace there. Not for my prideful satisfaction, but for His glory and the sake of Dan's salvation.


I hope, too, that you are challenged this week with an opportunity to share Christ. When you are, remember this scripture. Not so you can compare your hearts to feel comfortable and proud of your salvation, but to be appropriately burdened by their condemnation apart from Jesus' forgiveness. Let that, and your trust in the Spirit's work in them, bring you along side to share the hope of Christ.


Athanatos!

-J

No comments: